Mumbai International Airport switches to 100% green energy sources

Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport (CSMIA) in Mumbai announced that it has completely switched to green energy sources for its electricity consumption needs, making it one of India’s 100% sustainable airports.

CSMIA has seen an increase in clean energy purchases with 57% in April 2022 to 98% between May and July. It achieved the historic goal of using 100% renewable energy sources in August 2022.

Around 5% of the airport’s electricity needs are met through its on-site solar project, while the remaining 95% comes from other green energy sources such as hydro and wind.

Mumbai International Airport began adopting clean energy initiatives by installing a 1.06 MW rooftop solar system, which was later upgraded to 4.66 MW.

Earlier this year, CSMIA deployed a 10 kW hybrid solar system consisting of a 2 kW turbo-crusher and 8 kW solar PV modules with an estimated minimum energy production of 36 kWh/day.

The 10 kW pilot project also ensured the mitigation of approximately 120,000 tonnes of carbon emissions per year, helping CSMIA move closer to its goal of net zero by 2029.

CSMIA aims to reduce approximately 3,000 tonnes of greenhouse gas emissions by converting belt-driven fans in air handling units to electronically commutated (EC) fans, replacing cooling tower fills with energy efficient fillings and replacing conventional lamps with LEDs, to conserve energy.

The airport also aims to adopt an Internet of Things (IoT)-based temperature monitoring system at Terminal 2 to optimize the energy consumption of the air conditioning system through a technology upgrade in its pipeline. . It also aims to convert conventional fuel vehicles to electric vehicles.

Minister of State, Ministry of Civil Aviation, VK Singh, informed Parliament that India’s airports have taken steps to reduce their carbon footprint. These steps include replacing non-renewable energy with renewable energy sources such as solar panels, wind and hydro, streamlining operating times/procedures, and using alternative fuels in passenger vehicles. ground support.

Last year, GMR Hyderabad International Airport commissioned its second 5 MW solar project and increased its solar power capacity to 10 MW. Solar projects are installed at various airports including Bengaluru, Kochi, Thiruvananthapuram, Hyderabad, Chennai, Calicut, Trichy, Vijayawada and Tirupati.

Comments are closed.